Last Saturday I went walking from door to door in neighborhoods for the Proposition 8. We mostly surveyed people's opinions on traditional marriage vs. same sex marriage. I was surprised how many people are in support of Prop 8....and so I hope they all vote in November!
In case you're not familiar with what's happening, here's the amendment:
Proposition 8: The California Marriage Protection Amendment
Places into the California Constitution the same language that voters already passed by 61% of the vote in 2000. This is necessary to overturn an outrageous California Supreme Court decision that overturned Proposition 22.
The entire text of Proposition 8 is as follows:
"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California."
If you want to get involved (donate means/time) with Prop 8 and protecting marriage see this website: http://www.protectmarriage.com/
My church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is very involved with promoting Prop 8 because this is a moral issue. The final line in the Proclamation on the Family is an admonition to the world from the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve: “We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.”
I had the opportunity to teach a lesson at church on Sunday about Protecting Marriage too! It's been quite a weekend. "The Divine Institution of Marriage" is a great article that has opened my eyes and given me a more in-depth look, strengthening my beliefs on the subject.
Now that I officially have a child in the public school system, I want to make sure that I am involved in the school to know how to support correct principles and also monitor what they are teaching my child. I love the school system...I am a teacher...but I think there are some things that I would like my child to learn from me, in my home with my moral beliefs attached.
To view a video about how public elementary schools in Massachusetts are teaching about this in schools to the point of having "Gay and Lesbian Pride day" at school press here:
For an exemption form for your child's school, making sure that you are the one teaching your child about this moral issue, see this link: EXEMPTION FORM
I know this post has a ton of links and information, but I want to be able to say I am doing my part in spreading the word and doing all I can to be a responsible citizen, promoting virtue and morality! Let's take a stand for truth and righteousness and pass it along.



5 comments:
Amen- I could not agree more. Great lesson on sunday, you did fabulous!!
Props Sarah. Thanks for standing up for what you believe. I'm interested to know the details about how the lesson went, how you approached it, and how it was received.
I borrowed your post, you said it perfectly and I could not feel more strongly that everyone should read it. I hope that is ok. You said it perfectly!!
Thank-you Sarah! You're awesome! Is that exemption form just for the Sacramento area? I might borrow your post as well or at least direct others to it if that's o.k. with you!
you go girl! i'm so impressed and glad to see you're making a difference in your community. we talked about this situation in our sunday school lesson today and because i read your post i had something intelligent to say. :)
Post a Comment