Friday, June 05, 2009

We Grew Wheat Grass--Now What?

For enrichment this month we decided it would be fun to have wheat grass favors and double them as the table centerpieces. They were fun to grow! Here's what you do:

1. Soak the wheat for 12 hours, drain for 12 hours.

2. Plant in some good soil--you don't have to cover it very deep. We collected cans to make the favors easy to distribute. Any shallow container would work. Kenna was a great helper!

3. Cover with wet newspaper or paper towel to create kind of a greenhouse enviro. for 2 days.

4. Uncover and let it grow in indirect light. Spray 2 times a day with water. Watch for mold! It grows so fast. Some days I would come home after just a few hours and notice a difference. Crazy.

5. In about 10 days it's ready to harvest (or look cute as a centerpiece somewhere).

6. We covered them in scrapbook paper and tied on some info about "how to grow it and how to use it". These are all the leftover cans. Anyone want some? I noticed at Jamba Juice today that they sell the shots for about $2. I still haven't braved the wheat grass shots.

Supposedly it's really awesome for your health and can even be used as a poultice. Who wants to try some?

2 comments:

tiny said...

Maybe we'll have to do this for Enrichment. (Last week I was called to be the Enrichment Leader, yeah me.) You'll have to send me the information you attached to the can. :)

Tiffani said...

I have always been tempted and it must be good for you however, you would be eating grass...I would feel like a horse!

Related Posts with Thumbnails