(latest pic of the backyard with grass all grown in! We mowed it this weekend and we are playing on it now--hurray! 4/3)
The day we moved into our rental I took some quick shots of all the parts of the house. This is what our backyard looked like. Many years ago someone filled in a pool and over time the ground became uneven from sinking etc. After a year my Uncle (the best landlord!) splurged for some dirt to level it off. After that we were pretty much on our own for what we wanted to do back there.
I have been wanting to plant my own garden for many years! So, I have been SOOOO excited about having a blank canvas to work with.But, first things first! The kids needed a swingset badly. We found one on Craigslist...my favorite thing of all time. It has already paid for itself ten-fold! The first couple weeks we had it I think we played outside for at least 5 hours every day. And I am not even exaggerating! We eat lunch outside and play and plant and just enjoy this beautiful weather (while we have it!)
Last weekend we sectioned off the playspace and put rocks under the swingset. Our neighbor wanted to get rid of his rock in the his front yard...so we (and Tim's new BFF Luis) gladly hauled it across the street and into our side yard under the back tree. We've got a fire-pit all set up and have enjoyed the last couple nights around the fire with our s'mores and camp songs. (The neighbors must think we're nuts? or really fun. And we're a bit of both!)
Now, we're waiting for the grass to grow? Not too hopeful...but you can see some growing in if you stand back and squint your eyes and use some imagination. The birds had a field day (ha! get it?) eating the seed. Someone told Tim that if you turn on the talk radio outside all day that it intimidates the birds and they stay away. My mom asked if it's "because the talk radio was so boring?" Maybe it's the politics that just turn them off. She's so cute. See, it totally runs in the family :)
Things are growing! I think we planted 3 weeks ago. See the cute zucchini? I'm going to try and trellis it up so we can save space. We'll see how it goes! The zucchini were the last to pop up . I was worried nothing was happening for awhile because we had a couple of weeks that turned colder again and actually froze one night, which rarely happens here.ps--trellis was really expensive so I found some metal lattice in the cement section and some re-bar poles for a fraction of the cost. It seems like it will work. The guy at Homie D's thought I was a silly woman, I'm sure.
Snow peas and sweet peas will hopefully cover the back wall. I have a vision of this looking gorgeous soon and just sitting on the back patio popping fresh snow peas into my mouth while the kids entertain themselves on the swingset. A mother's dream, right? I found some seed packets for 20 cents and just went to town buying a variety of wildflowers to border everything. I love having CA Poppies to remind me of my roots.
I loved watching the lettuce pop up. They were quick and didn't care if it was a little cold. It's time to thin out these babies now. Good thing we like lettuce! I even planted collards and baby spinach since we love our Shrek Shakes so much. Yum.
And of course my #1 helper through it all. My Kenna Mae. She's going to Kindergarten next year. Can't believe it. When I ask her to help she whines, but when I don't ask she comes up and starts helping right along next to me. She made all the garden labels and drew cute little pictures of each plant. Funny that she didn't realize she was practicing her letters making the 30 signs.So fun to be gardening! We planted a lot! Things are growing. Hopefully it doesn't get too hot too quick out here so we can actually produce something.
Here's the grand list:
Cosmos (supposed to be 4-5 feet tall)
Giant Zinnias
Zinnias
Strawberries
Tomatoes
Marigolds
Sweet Peas
Snow Peas
Alyssum
Lettuce
Romaine
Baby Spinach
Collards
Carrots
Cherry Tomatoes (did these by seed and nothing so far)
Zucchini
CA Poppies
African Daisies
Oregano (nothing so far)
Parsley
Lots of Basil <3>



2 comments:
very beautiful and so fun to have a great swing set and garden! Did you sing, "The prophet said to plant a garden" like we did when you were growing up?
love, Mama Con
Can't wait to see how everything turns out! We don't get to plant here until May! :(
Post a Comment