(This pic is SO not related to the post, just needed some cute girls to lessen the boredom of this subject. Plus, it's a little proof that I have friends, and not just family to blog about. Notice also that I'm laughing trying to hide the baby bump that just looks like chub right now at the wrong angle!)We're actually doing a segment about this at Enrichment on Tuesday...and I am getting pumped up about saving money, using my food storage and making healthier / cheaper/ homemade food.
Please help add to my list!
1. Thanks to Robyn's inspiration, we have been building fires in our fireplace to save on the heating bill. Plus, it's so romantic to cuddle up (mostly w/ a book!) next to a nice warm fire. Plus, we're lucky enough that my Dad is a maniac when it comes to adding to his wood pile (and doesn't mind sharing the wealth). He should be set until he dies with all the wood they have.
2. Wednesday's half-off day at the Orowheat bread store (8048 AUBURN BLVD, CITRUS HEIGHTS). And, I'm going to try and make some homemade bread more often. I need to put that wheat grinder to use!
3. Using my food storage wheat to make wheat berries. My mom does this often and it's so yummy and healthy to stick in all kinds of food. It adds a little nutty flavor, nutrition and extends the food you're making. I'm trying it tomorrow...I'll let you know how it goes, and if Hubby even notices.
4. Free movies at Redbox on Monday nights. Get the coupon code texted to you here.
5. Using coupons for only the stuff that I would normally buy. Coupons.com is a great site. I know you have some fav sites out there for this one--share the love! I'm excited to get a little more edumacated about using coupons on top of sales, w/ rebates. Again, love the free stuff.
6. Craigslist.org. If you know me, even a little bit, you have probably heard about this obsession. I mostly sell stuff, but it's come in handy to buy a few things too. People really give away a ton of stuff on this site...and they buy my overpriced stuff too :) We sold our old stove for $50 on the site and bought a year old stove for $50 the next day! Come on...it doesn't get much better than this.
7. Freezing milk. Okay, this sounded nastly when my friend told me about it. But, I can't taste a difference. This has saved me lots of trips to the store. ( ps: the mild turns sort of yellow when it freezes, but when it thaws it looks normal again. ) Hubby is not sure about this one yet. Check out this site too--you can freeze eggs too? Who knew?
8. Recycling homemade cards. Sorry if this offends, but I'm just doing my part to help the enviro, right? My friends make the cutest cards. I don't want to throw away, but maybe not save forever either. (many times I save the written message to read over and over again) So--I cut off the outside cute part and re-glue it to a new blank card. Now you know! My sis Marian has even started to write her notes on a separate insert so that I can re-use her cute cards...she knows me too well.
9. Eating out on a budget. I never thought I was an eating out girl--but I sure do miss my drive-bys at Taco bell every now and then. I just found this website where it tells which restraunts offers "kids eat free" nights. Tim and I can usually get away with having the girls share a meal . They are such birds, they come home with leftovers. We always order water (I'm kind of nazi about this) and I try to convince Hubby to share with me and we just get side salads too. Any tips for fast food? I never see Taco Bell coupons.
10.Future goals: learn how to make some homemade household cleaners, use more beans--and not from a can, stock up on food storage cheaply and the list goes on.
Now, what are your ideas?



6 comments:
Fun! I'm glad someone got a picture from that night. I love this post - I too need to get better. There was a time when I was really good (out of necessity). I love the card idea! I do that all the time - sorry friends. Thanks for the great ideas!
Those are some great ideas. I have been able to get a month supply of bread for $14 at the Oroweat store on Wednesdays. I usually come out with the cart overflowing and never spend more than about $15. It is awesome.
It kind of goes along with your post title.. there is actually a blog frugalisfabulous.blogspot.com that has lots of info and coupons and sales and stuff like that.
I have become crazy frugal lately. I plan meals a week at a time and go to the grocery store once a week. I hope I save money that way. I also have started mixing my own cleaners.
Here is my Windex recipe...
1 32 oz old Windex spray bottle
add to the empty bottle
1/8 c. ammonia
1/2 c. rubbing alcohol
1/4 tsp. dishwashing soap
Fill the rest of the bottle with water.
Hey Sarah! Congrats on #3! are you hoping for a boy this time? So when are you due? Those are some great ideas! My sister, Becky Bunting, has a bunch of links on her blog for coupons and other saving tips. No disrespect for the previous comment but, forget the Windex, get yourself a good microfiber towel and just spray your mirrors with water. The microfiber towel doesn't leave any streaks and you don't have the smell either. Good luck!
Seriously, the micro fiber towels are amazing! I got a few for Christmas and I swear that dust just clings to them. We have a couple of parks nearby so when we want to go, we usually walk. This not only saves gas but is good exercise too. I am guilty of re-gifting. It's not that I don;t like or appreciate some gifts but I keep a stash of things that I don't really need and re-use them. The part of our budget that needs help is our food budget...we don't eat out much but I like to eat well and I probably bake too much. Any ideas besides having rice with every meal?
Post a Comment