
I've been awarded? Nominated? by my super awesome cousin KLC....I know, I'm practically famous :) It's Honest Scrap time! Time to write 10 honest things about myself and then nominate 4 others to do the same.
(This was surprisingly hard to do! And it took forever, I highly recommend looking at yourself like this every now and then....who am I really?)
Here goes:
1. I used to think... church history was a bit boring and have never quite gotten into it. Until I started reading "The Work and the Glory" series. I actually started it in high school, but only got through 2 of them maybe? I picked them up again last year and have loved every second of my reading. I think I cry every time I read. Doesn't it feel good to cry every now and then? Just reading this historical fiction has really increased my testimony of the gospel and all the pioneers went through so that we can have our church today. I HIGHLY recommend the series. I don't look at the world the same way. I just finished vol 8 yesterday; cannot wait to start vol 9!
2. Most embarrassing thing...Can't think of too many things I've done lately that are super embarrassing, only laughable. I guess things just don't embarrass me like the old days. I sure do know how to turn a nice shade of pink though! A couple summers ago KLC and I were garage sale-ing (one of my FAV things to do BTW) and driving around a neighborhood that had multi-families sales. We pulled up to one house and Tim let us out. KLC and I walked up the driveway and started looking around. I can't remember what I picked up, but I asked a guy how much he wanted for it. Get this! He was just cleaning out his garage--not having a sale...funny. Tim reminds me of this any time we see a lot of junk on someone's driveway/yard.
3. Music is one of my loves. I love how it makes me feel. I don't really think I'm a great singer or pianist or anything...but I thrive on music. It changes my mood almost instantly. I have many memories connected to music. I feel the Spirit especially strong through music. Cleaning is much more do-able to music! Music pumps me up. I like anything with a beat. I wish rap wasn't so derogatory because I just love a good beat. I love to dance...I don't do it enough. The other day we went bowling and they had some sweet music at the alley. After getting my groove going in my waxy shoes with my girls (moonwalk is easier in these--do it) I got 3 strikes in a row. I tell ya, it warmed me right up. I wish that my husband would take a dance class with me as promised 10 years ago. Yes, I still remember...and yes, I know you are reading this!
ps-"Just Dance" a Wii game is the BEST game ever, and this is coming from an anti-gamer wife!
4. What do I consider my greatest achievement? I have to say that going through natural childbirth was the hardest thing I've ever done by choice. There is just something awesome about knowing that my body could withstand all that pain and that I could control some of it with breathing and bouncing and some screaming. It was SOOOO painful and yucky and crazy, but looking back I am so glad that I accomplished something hard. Tim (and lots of others) thought I was crazy for wanting to try it, but I have always wanted to do it. If my mom could do it, than I can! It's empowering. And I'm lucky I have quick labor and delivery :) My Grantie was worth every second of the pain. He has a special place in my heart---because I earned him!!
5. This might be TMI, but... I have a habit of picking the split ends on my hair! This is my worst habit I am sure of it. Whenever I am in a deep thought or bored or whatever, I am picking at my split ends. I know it's bad news, but it's a habit. I have broken it many times when I had short hair (only cuz I couldn't see the ends of my hair!), but now that my hair is long again I am constantly at it. I guess it's the perfectionist in me. I know this bugs Tim as he is constantly turning off the lights so I can't see my hair :) I guess it could be worse. Maybe I'll be chopping my hair to get rid of the habit. I do love an A Line!
6. I am proud of myself this year because... for one of my New Year's Resolutions I wanted to work on controlling my temper with my kids. I think I'm a pretty patient person, that is until the lethal combination of being tired, crying children, bills piling up, whiny children, messy house etc etc and Mom loses it for a second (or two...or three). Dishes in the sink just make me cranky :(. I'm sure all you moms know what I'm talking about! I get mad at myself every time for not being able to keep my cool. So, my goal was to not touch my kids while I'm mad-- not even forceful guiding to time-out...nothing. And, I have to say I've done really well. And it feels really good. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't like an abusive mother before, the kids might get a little swat here and there. But it just feels good to be in control and not let emotions take over. There I said it. Oh, and I'm definitely not perfect at it now, but oh so much better! And a tip that works for me is when I start to get mad I put my hands behind my back. Try it. Prayer and scripture study help a ton too. Now if I could just never raise my voice or be annoyed...maybe 2011?
7. I love creating and making things beautiful. Before and after pictures have a place in my heart. I love it. I have a whole folder on my desktop of "before and after" pictures from projects. It makes me happy to look at a piece of junk from a thrift store and paint it and re-use it and make it useful and wonderful. When I have my own world someday there will be some recycling goin' on! I wish that I would have listened to my mom when she tried to teach me to sew so many years ago...
8. I love getting to know people. The real person, deep down. The carefree side of people. When you get this comfortable it's awesome. I am a kinda reserved person at first, but once I have the chance to sit and chat for awhile I open up. But, I would much rather do the listening than the talking. I married a talker for that reason. At least he used to be 'the talker'--he might say something diff! Most of my friends are talkers...it gives that good balance. However, it feels good to have friends that listen too--so important. I hate it when you can tell that someone isn't really listening. I cherish my real friends. This is one thing that's been hard for me since we've moved. It takes awhile to find "that friend" that you click with and can really depend on. It's a good thing for sisters/family and old friends! Too bad I stink at calling on the phone. Call me peeps!
9. Something I will never do again is...skydiving! My cousin Emily is graduating high school this week and is going skydiving for a graduation present. That's exactly what I did when I graduated and so we busted out the old video of me skydiving to show her and get pumped up. That was a fun memory for me and my dad. I do love adventure and doing new things...but now that I'm a mother I don't feel it's safe to jump out of planes. It was fun, but now I'm on to other thrilling adventures like teaching children to ride bikes down hills and such.
10. A dream for the future goes like this...I would love to do a tri-athalon. My little sister Briana is training for one and I'm so proud of her! She has inspired me. I don't really enjoy running unless I'm chasing a ball. Running seems so much more enjoyable if there's an end goal for me. Now I just need a trainer and a buddy to do it with. Anyone?
ps-I asked Tim what I should say to describe myself and he came up with "5 foot 4 smokin' hot ball of fire". And he said it in his Barry White voice... So, if that tells you anything about my sweetheart! Really, that's all he came up with! Such a man comment..gotta love him though!
I now nominate the amazing Marian, Shauni R., Mellanie H. and MJ



5 comments:
You totally ROCK Sarah! I love that you did this so honestly and with such great variety. I miss you and your scrappy ways. ( : The garage sale was a good memory to recall-I completely forgot about that one!
Too cute! I had a hard time coming up with my list too, but I think that was mostly because I tell everyone everything so it was hard to come up with things that people didn't know ;P!
It is so fun to read about your life! I miss you and miss your happy ways! I am not sure it is good when both friends are bad at calling people on the phone! Please know that I think about you a lot, but I just don't call....
You are so awesome!!
You're awesome. I do the split end thing if I ever take my hair out of a ponytail. I can't imagine you yelling at your kids... it just doesn't seem possible. You always seem so calm and in control with them.
Post a Comment