Wednesday, February 09, 2011

1st Place Team!

Scanned coach and daughter pic--color looks weird, but so fun to have!


Green Dragons are pretty awesome! Especially our little lady #5. A couple weeks ago we ended the season, taking 1st place at the tournament. FIRST PLACE!! The kids did so great and it really was SUPER exciting to watch. They played one tournament game under the lights at 8pm--past bedtime! It brought back the excitement of high school football games for me. There's just something about watching/playing sports at night that is energizing.

Every player improved a lot and we really went from bunch ball craziness to making plays and scoring lots of points! Taylor had 4 goals this season (2 in the tournament). She was a great forward. I always knew she was aggressive...now she has a good outlet for all that steam. Playing co-ed wasn't a problem. It didn't matter who had the ball and how big he/she was--she was on it. My favorite part was how quickly she learned to follow shots on goal all the way up to the goalie's face. She got really close a few times. She wanted it...and she wanted it bad. That a girl!

Coaching was definitely a learning experience for me. In college I was an assistant coach for a youth soccer team, but that hardly counts. And just because I've played soccer since I was 5 doesn't mean I know anything about coaching! I never realized how much work all my coaches put in throughout all my years in sports. As the parent I will forever thank all the future coaches and team moms. It's a lot of work and sacrifice. Grant and Kennedy were super troopers coming to practices twice a week and games on Saturdays. They made some sweet friends. Tim was also a huge help taking the kids and helping to coach when he could get out of work early enough. Now he would be a fabulous coach. Maybe next year.

We LOVE soccer! I didn't realize how much I've missed playing myself. This was a great opportunity to get back on the field and get back to basic skills for me. It really is a part of me and I've forgotten that.

Can't wait for next year. Although, for now it's nice to have our weeknights and Saturday mornings a little less jam-packed.

2 comments:

M&M Kanet said...

I wanna play too!! Let's get on a team together.
Great job coaching and playing Watties!! Mike and I have always said that we want to coach our kids too. He would be the coach though. He's very talented that way.
GO TAYLOR!!!

Alexis said...

Megan was #5 too her last 2 seasons. And it is random, they just hand you a shirt. How fun. I was just thinking today how we were "suppose" to be living by eachother my this year so the girls could get baptized together. What happened to that plan??

Related Posts with Thumbnails